Saturday, February 13, 2010

Germs, Germs Go Away...


Well, the last almost 2 weeks have been quite sickly in the Ippolito household. At first Mason was showing signs of a typical cold, that turned into a 3 day fever. Of course during this he wasn't eating anything which worries me to no end. We took him to the doctor and they determined it was just a virus.... big surprise right?! Do they EVER say otherwise? ha. Six days later he was back at the doctor because the fever had returned and was on it's 3rd day and he still wasn't eating. This time they discovered he had a double ear infection. Poor little guy! So they put him on Augmentin which is a super strong antibiotic. He's been on it before when he was little, but for some reason this time it affected him differently. Within 24 hours of starting the medicine he was having severe 'blowouts'.... and of course not eating again. We let it go for 2 days thinking he would adjust. On that 3rd day I ended up calling the nurse and told her what was happening. They ended up switching his antibiotic so it would be easier on his tummy. Finally he was on the mend! Thank God for that! It's hard for us mommas to see our babies sick. Mason was acting normal for 1 day when I had a few friends over on Thursday night. They brought some Pizza Hut with them and we enjoyed our dinner and it was nice to have some fun after dealing with sickness for so long. Yeah, spoke too soon.... within an hour of eating that Pizza Hut I was in the bathroom throwing up like I've never thrown up before. Thankfully, Mason was already sleeping so I didn't have to worry about dealing with him since Dominic was at work. My friends ended up leaving so I could try and lay down and feel better. It didn't work. Thursday night/ early Friday morning was the longest 10 hours I think I've ever had in my life. While my house was sleeping soundly, I was violently getting sicker and sicker. I ended up losing 8 pounds within those 10 hours if that tells you anything! Gosh! By late yesterday morning I was feeling better, but just sore and tired from the events hours before. Today I am very happy to say I feel back to normal. Although now it seems to be Dominic's turn and also the turn of the 2 friends of mine who ate that fateful pizza right along with me. Dominic doesn't have it as bad as I did. In fact, he just has the nagging feeling of getting sick and is more sore and tired than anything. At this point we're not sure if it's really the food we ate or if it's a little stomach bug. It's all so confusing because it all started with me and I hadn't left the house since 5 days prior to me getting sick because I was too busy taking care of Mason. So I'm not sure how I could have picked up a flu bug. BUT it is possible that Mason's issues with his antibiotic weren't really issues with the antibiotic after all and he's actually the one who started this whole mess! We will know for sure it was the pizza if the mother of my friend doesn't end up with it since she lives in the same house as him. Needless to say, it will be a long long while before I will be hungry for a pizza again! Bummer.

~And that's what's been happening around here... hopefully the next post will talk about good times and great, warm, sunny weather or something! Ha! Happy Valentine's Day to you all!

1 comment:

  1. So violent and short lived sounds like food poisoning. I know how you feel, I still won't touch jalapeno poppers after eating them before a bout of tummy flu!!

    Glad everyone is on the mend!!

    ♥Spot

    ReplyDelete